PYSO Auditions for NEW Members
Auditions for the 2022-2023 season have closed. This page will be updated with new information in January 2023.
Important Dates and Deadlines
Friday, April 1, 2022
Deadline for online application and preliminary audio audition submissions
Tuesday, May 3, 2022
String auditions (Invitation only)
Thursday, May 5, 2022
Wind and Brass auditions (Invitation only)
Online Application & Preliminary Audition Guidelines - Audio Only
Audio Submission Guidelines
- Preliminary auditions are by audio recording only.
- MP3 and MP4 files preferred
- Ensure that acoustics are adequate.
- Recording with personal or home devices is perfectly acceptable. Professional recordings are not necessary. Do not edit after recording. Recordings should be continuous. If you have a false start, wait 3 seconds and begin again.
- Recording should begin with up to 2 minutes from a solo selection (e.g. concerto, advanced etude, etc. with no piano accompaniment) in your repertoire that shows your technical abilities. Fast movements only – please do not submit slow movements. If you do not have a prepared solo selection in your repertoire, you must get prior approval for your solo piece by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the composer and name of the piece.
- Next, record the first two orchestral excerpts listed in the PYSO Music Excerpt List (in the dropdown link below).
- Title the audio recording with instrument and full name as in, Violin – John Doe.
- Submit your preliminary audio audition by 11:59 PM on Friday, April 1, 2022 to email@example.com. Please submit one audio file only, which includes the 2-minute concerto excerpt and the first 2 orchestral excerpts.
- Remember to fill out the online audition application after you have submitted your preliminary recording (audio NOT video).
- Preliminary auditions are blind. Names will be deleted from the files so that the PYSO Music Director and PYSO Coaches do not know to whom they are listening.
Live auditions are by invitation only and will follow the preliminary auditions. Applicants who pass the preliminary round will be invited to the live auditions and will be notified no later than Friday, April 15, 2022 at 5 PM.
PYSO Music Excerpt List
Harp, Piano, and Percussion Candidates
All Harpists, Pianists and Percussionists interested in auditioning please email the PYSO Office at firstname.lastname@example.org, typing “harp”, “piano”, or “percussion” in the subject header. Include your full name and phone number in the body of the text and we will respond with specific audition information for your instrument.
Benefits of Membership
Annual Membership dues for the 2022-2023 Season of the Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra will be $650. Scholarships are available.
- Over 30 weeks of rehearsals and activities every season
- Full-length concerts at Heinz Hall and other venues
- Rehearsals on Heinz Hall stage
- Sectional rehearsals with Coaches from the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
- Diverse programming including major symphonic repertoire, as well as contemporary works, works by under-represented composers, and new works.
- Annual Concerto Competition for members. Competition winner performs with PYSO at Heinz Hall
- Conducting Workshops and Competition with PYSO Music Director
- Workshops and Masterclasses with visiting PSO Guest Artists.
- “Beyond the Notes” - seminars discussing important and relevant topics for musicians
- International Concert Tour - PYSO anticipates a tour of the Baltics and Scandinavia in 2023! (Please note this is an additional expense.)
- Chamber music opportunities with Youth Chamber Connection
- Scholarships available